Thursday, May 13, 2010

Review: Grace & Company (Bainbridge Island, WA)


Grace & Company Paperie
271 Madison Ave S
Bainbridge Island, WA 98110
(206) 780-5498

I was lucky enough to get to take a trip out to Bainbridge Island when I was in Seattle. The view from the ferry was spectacular, and I was in good company and it was all in all shaping up to be a great day. Icing came in the form of the Grace & Company Paperie. The storefront looks quaint and pleasant with Paperie in bold block letters. While I speak no French, I was beckoned and welcomed by this one perfect word.

The store is small, but has a great selection of individual cards from some of the premiere letterpress companies. There is also a nice but small selection of boxed cards, gift paper and bags; as well as some delightful candles. I got a gorgeous calendar (review and pics to come shortly). The best part was the friendliness of the store owner. Her name escapes me, but she really made the visit to the store wonderful. Many times there is an air of pretention at specialty card shops. As much as I love paper, this is something that irks me in a lot of places. Not so at Grace & Company Paperie! The owner was knowledgeable and passionate about the industry, and we had a wonderful conversation about the trends of paper products in the industry, and the impact of the economy (not all letterpress companies have survived).

If you are in Seattle, I highly recommend the trip to Bainbridge for the view from the ferry, the experience of the island, and the charm of Grace & Company Paperie.

No comments:

Post a Comment